TMJ Physiotherapy Treatment
Do you have TMJ pain or TMJ dysfunction?
You may or may not experience jaw pain or tenderness with TMJ dysfunction. Symptoms can include:
- Pain in the jaw joints and facial muscle
- Clicking, grinding or locking of the jaw
- Headaches & Dizziness
- Difficulty opening or closing the mouth comfortably
- Pain on talking, chewing & yawning
- Jaw getting stuck open or closed.
- Pain in your neck and head.
- Ringing in the ears or the sensation of ears being blocked
- Referred TMJ pain and be felt as headaches or earache.
Causes of Pain or dysfunction:
- Trauma, for example a blow to the jaw either directly to the joint or elsewhere on the jaw.
- Overactivity of the jaw muscles from continuous clenching or grinding the teeth.
- Wear and tear of the cartilage inside in the joint
- Poor posture
- Increased sensitivity to pain linked to stress.
- Removal of wisdom teeth,
- Prolonged mouth opening eg dental procedure
- Myofascial pain
- Whiplash and other less common causes include: trauma
- Derangement/displacement of TMJ articular disc
- Bruxism: nocturnal grinding of teeth leads to increased pressure in TMJ and asymmetrical movement
During TMJ Assessment, your Physiotherapist will assess your:
- jaw range of motion
- muscle tension and length
- TMJ co-ordination and movement pattern
Your TMJ Physiotherapist will be able to identify if your problem is an opening issue.
TMJ Opening problems include:
- Muscle disorder
- TMJ (joint) disorder: hypermobility, stiffness or arthritis
- TMJ disc displacement disorder: intermittent or permanent lock or a
- Cervical spine posture issue.
TMJ Closing problems include:
- A locked open joint, which can be manipulated open.
TMJ Physiotherapy Treatment in Mississauga
As a general rule,TMJ opening disorders(how the jaw moves when opening or closing) are more likely to be successfully treated with jaw movement improvement techniques such as massage, dry needling/acupuncture, muscle stretch/relaxation/coordination exercises or joint capsule stretching techniques that are provided by your physiotherapist.
If you are not sure of what treatment is best for you, we recommend that you seek the advice of your TMJ physiotherapist for pain, clicking or lack of motion when opening your mouth your dentist for problems when you clench your teeth. TMJ physiotherapy is normally very successful for the treatment of TMJ opening disorders due to the problem being a movement disorder that is affected by your muscle and joint control.
Curezone Physiotherapy is a clinic that offers TMJ physiotherapy treatment in Mississauga. We have a team of experienced and qualified physiotherapists who can assess your jaw function and design a personalized treatment plan for you. Curezone physiotherapists in our Mississauga location can help your TMJ using education, mixed manual therapy techniques, upper cervical mobilization or manipulation, advice about TMD symptom control and improvement in maximum mouth opening. Manual techniques included intra-oral myofascial release and massage therapy on masticatory muscles and neck mobilization.
What should be avoided if you have TMJ Pain?
- Chewing heavy meats, nuts, raw carrots etc.
- Taking big bites into burgers, apples etc.
- Do not chew gum or bite your nails
- Avoid intentionally clicking your jaw or clenching your teeth
- Limit your speaking if it is an aggravating factor
- Slouching or poor posture at your desk.
How Long does it Take to Recover from Temporo mandibular Dysfunction (TMJ)?
TMJ dysfunction is usually takes around four to six weeks rehabilitation with proper exercises and following instructions for the things to be avoided.
Our goal is to Relief your pain, minimize the stiffness and Restore normal function and mobility as soon as possible. If you been diagnosed with TMJ pain or dysfunction and or suffering with any of the above symptoms, If you been diagnosed with TMJ pain or dysfunction and or suffering with any of the above symptoms, call us now and book for a free initial physiotherapy consultation and TMJ Physiotherapy Treatment today**
We have a team of experienced and qualified physiotherapists who can assess your jaw function and design a personalized treatment plan for you. Curezone Physiotherapy is your best choice for TMJ physiotherapy treatment in Mississauga.